Friday, June 5, 2009
I was just catching up on my blog reading when I came across this great article from Apartment Therapy. It clears up a lot of questions on what goes in what bin when recycling in NYC. Here are the guidelines:
1. Plastic bottles only. If you wouldn’t call it a bottle, it doesn’t get recycled. Yogurt containers, restaurant delivery containers and plastic cups do not make the cut. Plastic shopping bags technically don’t go with the plastic recycling, but they'll get sorted out along the way.
2. Recycle anything more than 50% metal. And it's okay to leave the labels on as they burn away when the metal is smelted.
3. Glass bottles and jars only.
4. Milk and juice cartons go in the bin with the plastic, glass and metal.
5. Recycle any and all paper, staples and all. They'll get sorted out later.
Check out NYC's Department of Sanitation for more recycling guidelines.